15-hour New Concealed Handgun License Course
Based on the National Rifle Association's 'Personal Protection Outside the Home' course
along with additional content to satisfy state requirements, this two-day defensive firearms course is a combination of classroom and live-fire exercises, covering such topics as firearms safety, safely presenting the handgun from concealment, accurate defensive shooting at single and multiple targets, using movement, cover and concealment, avoiding potential threats and formulating strategies for personal safety outside the home, along with an extensive discussion of Federal, State and local firearms laws.
This 15-hour new license course is a basic defensive firearms course that will prepare the student for concealed carry, pursuant to the licensing requirements specified by the State of New Mexico. The curriculum is presented in conformance with state law, which dictates that the classroom portion of the course must be completed before any live-fire exercises take place.
Day 1: In the Classroom
- Knowledge of and safe handling of single- and double-action revolvers and semiautomatic handguns
- Safe storage of handguns and child safety
- Safe handgun shooting fundamentals
- Identification of ways to develop and maintain handgun shooting skills
- Federal, state and local criminal and civil laws pertaining to the purchase, ownership, transportation, use and possession of handguns
- Techniques for avoiding a criminal attack and how to control a violent confrontation
- Techniques for nonviolent dispute resolution
Day 2: On the Range
- Basics of Concealed Carry: Presenting the handgun from concealment
- Defensive shooting accuracy
- Engaging multiple targets
- Aimed fire with the strong hand only
- Point shooting techniques using two hands and the strong hand only
- Shooting from kneeling position and from behind cover
- Speed reloading and clearing stoppages
- Using cover and concealment
2-Hour Refresher Course
According to NM Law: "A licensee shall complete a two-hour refresher firearms training course two years after the issuance of an original or renewed license. The refresher course shall be approved by the department and shall be taken twenty-two to twenty-six months after the issuance of an original or renewed license."
The 2-year refresher course covers local, state and federal
firearms laws and includes a live-fire qualification. Licensees
are required to shoot the CHL qualification course of fire with
the same caliber(s) and type(s) of handguns that are listed on
their New Mexico Concealed Handgun License.
4-Hour Renewal Course
According to NM Law: "A licensee seeking renewal of a license shall satisfactorily complete a refresher firearms training course approved by the department that includes at least 4 hours of classroom and firing range instruction on the subjects specified in Subsection A of NMSA 1978 Section 29-19-7."
Subsection A of NMSA 1978 Section 29-19-7, states:
- knowledge of and safe handling of single- and double-action revolvers and semiautomatic handguns;
- safe storage of handguns and child safety;
- safe handgun shooting fundamentals;
- live shooting of a handgun on a firing range;
- identification of ways to develop and maintain handgun shooting skills;
- federal, state and local criminal and civil laws pertaining to the purchase, ownership, transportation, use and possession of handguns;
- techniques for avoiding a criminal attack and how to control a violent confrontation; and
- techniques for nonviolent dispute resolution.
The 4-year renewal curriculum includes these topics plus a live-fire qualification.